Remote Rural Respite ServiceMeet Sue - our Rural Support Worker!
I’m Sue – I’m a mature person with a Diploma of Disability and a lot of experience working in the disability sector supporting people with challenging behaviours and complex needs.
I raised my kids on our cattle farm 60 kms outside of Roma, and juggled work on the property with a family day care business, so I know a bit about managing twenty things at once.
I’m a qualified Aust Swim instructor and can teach babies as young as 6 months old to adults how to swim and be safe in the water, and I can deliver movement therapy classes for people with limited mobility to build strength and confidence and have some fun.
I have a current CPR + First Aid Certificate and have completed the Mental Health First Aid training, so I have the knowledge and skills to offer first aid to a person with a mental health condition.
When I lived on the Sunshine Coast, I was a volunteer life saver at the Mudjimba Surf Club where I was part of a wonderful and caring group of people who generously give their time to protect beachgoers, and build a welcoming and inclusive place for the broader community to enjoy.
After selling my home on the Sunshine Coast, I bought a brand new Winnebago, I packed up what I needed and came back out west.
I’m a no fuss kind of person, with a matter-of-fact take on life. I’m kind and considerate of other people and their needs and I’m strong and persistent when I need to be.
I love nothing better than to support someone to learn a new skill or to complete a task they have never done before. Independence looks different for everyone; it’s really about working out what it looks like for you, and seeing how I can fit into that picture.
I have a current Queensland Government Positive Notice Blue Card for working with Children, and Positive Notice Yellow Card for working with people with disability.
My qualifications are:
- Diploma of Disability
- Current Senior First Aid + CPR
- Thrive not Survive – Disability Sector Training Fund
- Personal Professional Boundaries – Disability Sector Training Fund
- Mental health First Aid – Disability Sector Training Fund, Glad to be me
- Cert IV in Assessment and Workplace Training, TAA
- Certificate III in Child Care and Education, SQUIT Roma
- Introduction to Massage, SQUIT Roma
- Managing Challenging Behaviour – Roma Family Day Care
- Workplace behaviour – Local Government Association of QLD Inc.